In just his sixth start on the European Tour, and in his Rookie Season, Sami Valimaki claimed his maiden European Tour victory with a play-off win at the 2020 Oman Open.
In blustery conditions during the final round, Valimaki finished on -13 by holing a crucial birdie putt with his Spider X Putter on the 72nd hole to force a play-off, going on to claim victory on the third extra hole.
New to Team TaylorMade for 2020, Sami Secured his European Tour card at Qualifying School Final Stage to earn his rookie season on tour, he is now a winner in just his sixth European Tour event. The victory also meant it is back to back Oman Open’s for Team TaylorMade athlete’s after Kitayama’s victory in 2019.
What you need to know:
- This is Sami’s maiden European Tour victory, in just his sixth start!
- Valimaki led the field this week in stroke average (68,75) and strokes gained total (+3,16)
- Valimaki plays the TaylorMade's new shape inspired SIM Driver in 9,0 degrees before transitioning into the steel SIM Max Fairway wood at 15,0 degrees
- Sami plays the popular P790 UDI 2 iron and P750 irons
- His iron and approach play were clinical this week as he made a total of 22 birdies, joint highest this week of any player
- He plays the RAW Face Milled Grind 2 Wedges in 50 and 54 degrees plus a Milled Grind Hi-Toe lob wedge in 58 degrees
- Putting was where Sami excelled the most this week, equipped with his Spider X Putter leading the field in strokes gained putting (+2,87)
- Sami’s ball of choice is the TP5x
Sami Valimaki WITB:
- SIM 9,0 Driver
- SIM Max 15,0 Fairway wood
- P790 UDI 2 iron
- P750 4-PW
- MG2 50° and 54°
- MG Hi-Toe 58°
- Spider X Cuivre
- TP5x Golf Ball