Our team has been onsite at Oak Hill Country Club taking in the sights and sounds of the 105th PGA Championship. The old school Rochester club has hosted three past PGA Championships, three U.S. Opens and the 1995 Ryder Cup - making it a fitting stage for the action to unfold in the days ahead.
Team TaylorMade brings another star-packed roster to the 2023 PGA Championship, with past winners looking to add another Wanamaker Trophy to the collection (Rory McIlroy, Collin Morikawa) along with contenders seeking their first (Tommy Fleetwood, Scottie Scheffler).
Here are some cool moments from early in the week we wanted to share with our fellow golf nuts.
PGA Staff Bag in the Wild
The 2023 Professional Championship Staff Bag is onsite at Oak Hill. Why is it blue? The bag borrows its design cues from the waterways the surround the Rochester area.
Michael Block Driver Build
Michael Block is one the most decorated club professionals in the game and the reigning 2022 PGA Player of the Year. Here’s a step-by-step look at the Stealth 2 Plus driver we built him this week.
Tommy Dials It In
Tommy Fleetwood comes into this week playing great golf, finding himself ranked in the top-15 on TOUR in strokes gained approach. He also tied for fifth at last year’s PGA Championship, posting rounds of 69 and 67 on the weekend. He’s ninth on TOUR in strokes gained tee-to-green and strokes gained total per round, underlying numbers that promise big results on the horizon.
BRNR Mini Drivers continue to be a popular ask week after week. With an interesting mix of 500-yard par 4s and shorties (the 399-yard 12th and 325-yard 14th) at Oak Hill, BRNR Mini will be an intriguing option for a number of players.
Kenny Pigman’s Headcover and Logo Combination
Kenny Pigman might have the best headcover/logo combination in the field this week.
“It’s a pig with my initials in it – pretty spot on,” says the PGA Pro from Arrowhead Country Club in California. “I coach a lot of junior golfers, and they have fun with it and want to rock it. Obviously with my name, it’s a bit of a layup.”
Why is Rory McIlroy smiling? He comes into the week leading the PGA TOUR in driving distance at 328.8 yards in 2022-23 with a whopping 47.7% of McIlroy’s drives traveling more than 320 yards.
STATS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Driving is critical. Since 2014, PGA Champions have gained 25.8% of their strokes against the field on shots off the tee – 7% more than the TOUR average.
- Rory McIlroy is averaging a career-high 328.2 yards off the tee in 2022-23
- 47.7% of McIlroy’s drives this season have gone more than 320 yards, the highest rate of any player.
- Scottie Scheffler that is leading the TOUR in strokes gained off-the-tee (1.022)
- Scheffler has all but eliminated the right miss, finding the right rough just 9.5% of the time. The second lowest rate on TOUR.
- Among players with 50-plus rounds on TOUR in the SG era, only Tiger Woods averages more strokes-gained-approach per round than Collin Morikawa (1.06 vs. 1.00)
- Scottie Scheffler is leading the TOUR in greens in regulation (74.4%)
- Since the beginning of 2020, Scheffler is a combined 48-under-par in the majors. Morikawa (-26) ranks third in that category, while McIlroy (-21) is tied for fourth.
- Scheffler (4.12) and McIlroy (3.91) rank one-two in birdies-or-better per major championship round in that same stretch.
High Five Training With Scottie Scheffler, Collin Morikawa, and Tommy FleetwoodMay 17, 2023
Rory McIlroy Tries To Call The EXACT Yardage After He HitsMay 16, 2023
2023 PGA Championship | Get to know the Team TaylorMade CrusadersMay 15, 2023
Find the Easter Eggs | Professional Championship Staff Bag & AccessoriesMay 15, 2023
ADVISORY BOARD PROFILES / COMITÉ CONSULTATIF – PROFILMay 11, 2023
Team TaylorMade's Full Stealth 2 Range Testing SessionMay 10, 2023
Top 5 Reasons to Try Stealth HD IronsMay 9, 2023
Team TaylorMade Short Game ContestMay 7, 2023
How To Attack Firm PGA Tour Greens With Taylor MontgomeryMay 4, 2023
Mic'd Up Hole Strategy With PGA Tour Winner Kurt KitayamaMay 3, 2023
Day In The Life of a TaylorMade Kingdom MASTER FITTERApril 27, 2023
Herbert Handles Business, Capturing his 3rd DP World Tour TitleApril 23, 2023
How Youth on Course Changed Austin Smotherman's CareerApril 20, 2023
Is BRNR Mini Driver the Right Club for You?April 19, 2023
Win With Brooke ContestApril 18, 2023